Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Quote from last night's Biggest Loser

I jotted this down and I am pretty sure it was the contestant Jackson who said it, "Weight loss is mental. You have to want it more than you want a cupcake!!"  The exclamation points are mine.  I would say insert any word here that would apply.  To me this quote resonated on so many levels---I am sure he meant this in its most literal sense; but it seemed almost metaphoric for a lot of things in life but especially weight loss and maintenance.  We have all tried many times to lose weight and then there is this time (presently) whereas everything is clicking and makes sense.  I have realized for me that it was a lot of mental and spiritual work.  The mental for me was more so getting out of my own head---developing a sense of self, self-esteem.  I had zero self-esteem my whole life--I didn't love myself, I never liked the way I looked--I could go on and on.  My development of self took years--I think I owned a self-help section of a bookstore.  I still feel that I am a work in progress but I have a much higher sense of self.  What's so interesting about the quote is that I heard the "mental" part over 15 years or more ago from Oprah, yes, Oprah said that "Weight loss is very mental."  Or something like this, but I definitely remember the mental part and just being confused.  I thought that weight loss was eating less and exercising and then, presto!!!  As I struggled to keep the weight off, I started thinking about the spiritual which helped the mental.  Did anyone else hear this quote or have ever heard something like this?  Let me know.

1 comment:

  1. I can't remember the Oprah quote at all, but I'll bet she said it. It really struck me, when Jackson said that about the cupcake. So true! When I went through my mental transformation, I remember thinking, well I've had 45 years and I know what cake, cupcakes, brownies and jelly beans taste like. So I'm done with that sort of living.

    Good work on working through what you needed to get. It's tough work, but very worth it. :) So glad you've found this place in your life. Karen P

    ReplyDelete