Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A Quote

Right now I am reading Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us by Michael Moss.  So this Pulitzer Prize winning author has researched extensively the food industry and how they got us to this"bliss point" addictive state.  The inventor of the "bliss point" which by the way is the "lethal" combination of salt, sugar, fat (one, some or all of them, think Cheetos!!) is a researcher by the name of Howard Moskowitz.  During one of their conversations they talked about the obesity crisis and and the author writes this from the conversation: "There's no moral issue for me," he said flatly.  "I did the best science I could. I was struggling to survive and didn't have the luxury of being a moral creature..."
On the one hand, at least he is honest about his lack of moral character; but on the other hand, WOWZA.  He just didn't give a sh*t!!  And by the him using the words moral issue and moral creature, I feel that he knew at the time he would be making people fat.  Yes, we all have choices not to eat certain things-but who knew at the time---well, not many people.  Anyway, I stumbled across this quote and just wanted to share it.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? Double post , the both went away. Sigh! Anyhoo- thanks for your book review. This one is on my "to read list" . :)

    ReplyDelete