Tuesday, October 23, 2012

So much to say


“Heart attack due to Obesity” is what the death certificate read under cause of death, my
31 year old sister, a wife and mother of 2 was dead and that’s what the death certificate
said. That was almost 30 years ago and I was 17 years old. It would take years before
I began to unravel the goings on in my head from reading those words in my almost late
teens. I think we all knew in 1983 what being fat or overweight was; but the word obese
was only used by the medical examiner back then, I was sure of it because I had never
really heard the word. There would be this constant battle in my head with the word
obesity and how I would never allow myself to be “obese.” But it’s now 2012 and we all
know the word obesity as one who is classified as obese at ~30 pounds overweight.

I have attempted to start a blog on a few occasions but wanted to have some clear goals, so here I go:

  • I want to be a Maintainer
  • I want to champion many more Maintainers
  • 1 year from today I want to join the National Weight Control Registry
I believe that everyone has a story to tell about their journey and I am no different.  The program I am on, I have lost 41 lbs (since the day after Thanksgiving 2011, weighing 199 lbs) and 30 of this total has been lost 3 times over the last 3 years.  This blog is still in the staging process.  I just want to take one day at time, maintain and continue the process.  My process includes inspiration from other Maintainers--I have read weight loss blogs for years but two years ago, I started seeking weight maintenance blogs and it was slim pickings.  And then I started to ponder why?  Which has lead me to this day or that day after Thanksgiving last year.  I started thinking that there are so many people who are inundated with weight loss this and weight loss that, what about something for Maintainers.  How about something for ME when I do lose this weight?  I have read many weight loss books and there is always a very small section on Maintenance if any section at all.  As in the title of my post, I have so much to say and I will....

No comments:

Post a Comment